A huge shout out and praise to the National Rugby LeagueQueensland Rugby League, Suncorp Stadium Stadium and all the catering and cleaning staff plus of course the players and fans who put on this spectacle at Lang Park together last night.
Starting the fan journey on a chilly night in Brisbane (12C 🙂) I made my way into Roma Street Station via free included public transport on the train and walked down a pumping and lively Caxton Street a few hours before kick off.
Making my way into the fan zone past the giant QLD and NSW inflatable heads it was impressive to see the quality event presentation on show with QLD members able to collect free hats as well as specially designed cane toad head pieces as part of the Kane’s Crew QLD cheer squad.
The fan zone was alive with skills drills games for fans young and old featuring sponsor activations from Coates , Chemist Warehouse, Youi Insurance and Hisense Group while once inside the ground the welcome to country, indigenous dance and player line up announcements looked incredible, especially with the light show, fireworks and vibrantly colourful light up posts (why haven’t we done the latter sooner!).
A special shout out to the staffer who helped a young fan reunite with his mum after momentarily getting caught up in the exit while on that topic, it couldn’t be easier to leave the venue and walk up Caxton Street or to Milton station to get away and catch free public transport home post game. Just makes the end of the night seamless and positive.
An absolute edge of your seat action packed thriller and one where we got to say, ‘we were there!’ ….how good is it to be back full strength with live sport!
Well done to all involved 👍
Some insights into kids at school today across grade 2-6 on #Origin last night from big lunch playground chats:
– Majority had to go to bed by half time/9pm (mums call they said) so is an earlier start time something to consider? Unlikely…
– Most were shocked by the biff
– Ecstatic with the game + plays + action ‘Ponga was unreal!’
– Biggest audience 10-12 years (younger kids not as interested)
– Increased knowledge of HIA/concussion issues/concerned for players welfare especially Cobbo whose highly rated by kids
– More girls than boys excited by the match (many coming on they say from having watched NRLW and Women’s origin)
– Wanted to know what the hell the weird thing was fans were wearing on their heads…. Kane’s Crew canetoad hats!
– Pizza was the standout takeaway meal 🍕
– Many had family parties/neighbour get-togethers
– Few said they would now ask olds to take them to an NRL game
– Most watched via FTA TV with family but some older kids watched via streaming on mobile
– Thought the pre-game light up goal posts were a cool feature
– Thought I was rich paying $90 for a ticket before I told them that was the cheapest on offer!
– Loved the stats on tv of player speeds
– Could name majority of players from both teams not just Queensland Rugby League
– Ponga the absolute stand out hero that they love
– None of them knew who Powderfinger were haha 😆
Was great to see so many boys and girls run up to me today while kicking soccer balls (still the most popular lunch time sport no matter what school I’m at!) to ask what the atmosphere was like at Suncorp Stadium and tell me their thoughts on the big match. Kids often have a very interesting take on things that some of us oldies might not think about.