4.58pm. Arsenal tube. The Beatles ‘The Word’
One of the cool ideas I had to promote my name and personal brand while over in the UK was to do up a football jersey with my name, logo, colour scheme and social media information so that I could give these out to industry experts that I’d meet along the way.
I have always really liked the idea that Tony Fernandes, owner of Air Asia and of QPR gives everyone he meets an Air Asia cap and takes a pic of them for his social media feeds. I thought why not try something creative like this as well to spread my personal brand.
I designed the jersey using templates from the Argentina, Marseille, Melbourne Victory and Wigan jerseys and adding my own touches. It’s pretty funny really but I think it’s a good tie in to get my name out there in the sports business.
Lucky enough to have a friend in Vietnam who runs a sweat shop free garment factory who could get these made up for me in time.
Here are some pics of the jerseys.
This week I made the move to London for two months to start my sports business internship at Queens Park Rangers but I also wanted to make sure I did up an infographic for the Brisbane Roar women’s team. I didn’t have enough time to knock up one for the mens team due to the 40 odd hours of travelling but I hope to get back to doing one next week should time permit.
One of the areas in which I’m keen to get involved with in Australia is working with developing the women’s game. I’m really passionate and enthusiastic about wanting to improve equality and make these women stars of the game. There is no reason why we can’t get women’s football in Australia to be as big as in the US. I have plenty of creative ideas which I wish to share with the Roar or the powers that be in other areas of Australian women’s sport so we’ll see what happens over time.
As I mentioned on my social media channels doing up these infographics (I have one of the way for the FFA to showcase how good the game is going in Australia) has been a great way to get my name and brand out there to show organisations and businesses how passionate and professional I am as well as what services I can provide.
I focused on a general background of the Roar’s women’s team this week which included profiles on Tameka Butt and Amy Chapman as well as some records and stats and a current ladder.
Good luck to the girls on Sunday!
7.55am. Arnos Grove tube. The Cruel Sea ‘Woman with soul’
I hit the ground running at Queens Park Rangers FC on Monday morning and below is a list of all the goals I wish to accomplish or learn about during my time at the club.
My background is in marketing, event and venue management from previously working in the music business as well as at the Gabba sports ground in a Brisbane however the more I look into workplace health and safety (especially in the sports industry) the more I’m getting intrigued by this as a possible area to specialise in. Anyway good to keep the options open and to learn as much as I can across all the areas while at this global club.
These are my internship goals and areas I want to learn more about in order to refine my skills and bring these back to Australia to improve our events and fan engagement experiences. The list will continue to be updated.
1. Understand major event management processes and improve my operational management techniques
2. Learn about sport law/public liability for major events
3. Improve my PR skills/learn more about sports PR-media relations
4. Learn about corporate hospitality
5. Improve my understanding of organisational management structures in sports organisations
6. Learn about sports marketing and promotions
7. Learn about facility/sports stadia management
8. Learn about strategic management such as future planning, environmental analysis, strategy formation, implementation and control.
9. Experience more about office culture (odd to some but as a teacher you don’t experience ‘office’ business culture)
10. Learn about enterprise risk management (risk culture, monitoring risks)
11. Online marketing/digital media engagement
12. Fan engagement strategies
13. Keen to learn more about violence/bullying/hazing in the sport industry (possible idea for research paper I have)
14. To learn more and help out with the women’s game
15. Player welfare (possible area I think I could go into from being a teacher)
16. Anti-social behaviour at games. How it’s addressed
17. Safety at games. Crowd behaviour, workplace health and safety, evacuation procedures
18. Understand more about future trends in the sports business (from broadcasting to fan engagement)
19. Athlete management (career development, retirement, role of player, manager, staff, club)
20. Role of football police squads
21. Learn more about financial reporting, analysis, understanding accounting concepts, interpreting corporate financial reports.
22. Understand advertising/sponsorship procedures and selling